Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Funding your business - Do you want a co-signed loan?

Bankers sometimes request that you find a co-signer for your loan. This is likely if you have insufficient collateral or a poor or nonexistent credit history. Perhaps someone who likes your idea and has a lot of property, but little cash, will cosign for a bank loan.

A cosigner agrees to make all payments you can't make. It doesn't matter if the cosigner gets anything from the loan; she'll still be responsible. And if you can't pay, the lender can sue both you and the cosigner. The exception is that you're off the hook if you declare Chapter 7 bankruptcy, but the cosigner isn't. Cosigning a loan is a big obligation, and it can strain even the best of friendships. If someone cosigns your loan, you might want to consider rewarding your angel for taking this risk.

From my own experience, I cosigned a car loan for an employee once, and I'll think twice before I do it again. I didn't lose any money, but the bank called me every time a payment was 24 hours late, and a couple of times I thought I might have to pay. I didn't like being financially responsible for a car that I had never driven and might never see again.

No comments:

Post a Comment